For this assignment, you will write a 1500-2000 word descriptive summary of research on a social, political, economic, or cultural issue that interests you. The goals for this assignment are to explore the scholarly knowledge that already exists for your topic, and to compare, contrast, and connect the ideas found in your research. Prior to beginning your essay, you will compose a research question about your topic that will serve as the cornerstone of your literature review. Once you have developed a question–and that question has been approved by your instructor–you’ll conduct research that will help you answer it. You are asked to incorporate at least 5 scholarly sources in your literature review. The final draft of your essay should include the following parts:
|– Summarizes your paper. Note that this section should not provide context or attempt to interest a reader in your paper the way an introduction does. Just simply state the main points you will cover.|
|– Defines and identifies the topic and establishes the reason for the literature review. (So what?)
– Provides background information and points to general trends in what has been published about the topic.
– Presents research questions and provides a succinct answer to that question in a 1-2 sentence thesis statement.
|BODY OF THE REVIEW||– Groups articles into thematic clusters, or subtopics and proceeds in a logical order from cluster to cluster.
– Emphasizes the main findings or arguments of the articles in the student’s own words.
– Presents the research, knowledge, and analysis that the literature offers concerning your research question.
– Interprets, evaluates, and makes connections between sources.
– Keeps quotations from sources to an absolute minimum.
|CONCLUSION||– Summarizes the major themes that emerged in the review and identifies areas of controversy in the literature.
– Pinpoints strengths and weaknesses among the articles (innovative methods used, gaps in research, problems with theoretical frameworks, etc.)
– Concludes by formulating questions that need further research within the topic, and provides some insight into the relationship between that topic and the larger field of study or discipline.
|WORKS CITED PAGE||– Note: This does page not count towards the word limit|
Throughout the writing process, you will engage in a series of short writing assignments designed to help you hone your research and writing skills while examining scholarly texts.
1000-1250 words; Size 12 font, Times New Roman, standard margins, double-spaced. Cite all sources in proper APA format. You must include a Works Cited page with your essay. *Note: Works Cited page does not count toward the word count.
You will submit both print and digital copies of this essay. Hard copies are due at the beginning of class on the designated assignment due date. Digital copies should be uploaded online via Blackboard before class.
|APR 20||REVIEW ESSAY #3 ASSIGNMENT|
|APR 20||RESEARCH TOPIC REFLECTION DUE|
|APR 22||REPORT ON RESEARCH IN PROGRESS|
|APR 27||ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY DUE|
|MAY 4||ESSAY #3 FIRST DRAFT DUE|
|MAY 6||PEER REVIEW COMMENTS DUE|
|MAY 11||ESSAY #3 FINAL DRAFT + REFLECTION DUE|
Content — 30%
Development — 25%
Organization – 20%
Research Question — 10%
Style — 10%
Grammar & Mechanics — 5%
|Essay #3 – Literature Review||25%|