Discussion post #4

Social Privilege is “an advantage that only one person or group of people has”. Privileges that a person can have are advantages that can be based on aspects such as age, education level, ethnic or racial category, gender, religion, and social class. To a certain extent everyone without even realizing has privileges in their lives. I am lucky enough to have many privileges in my life that others don’t have.

I grew up in a home with both of my parents and being the youngest of three siblings I never had to carry any financial burdens even though both of my parents are lower-middle class. I go to a college and receive a free education from financial aid. I’ve grown in a supportive environment and being born as an American citizen I never had to deal with the same struggles my parents had. I was privileged with the freedom of speech, practice my religion, vote, and raised in a household that has made me bilingual.

The online community I chose is the Bardigang which is Cardi B’s large online fan-base. Being a fan of Cardi B since the beginning of her career when she was in Love and Hip Hop and just starting music, I have a bias towards the Bardigang. I have been a fan of the female rapper for a long time and I appreciate how outspoken she is as a person. Cardi being a New yorker and a woman of color has allowed me to have a strong bias towards her. My opinions can influence the way I do research on this online community. My fixed and subjective positions are affected as I already have a background knowledge of her. I will also have a connection as the majority of the community are minorities and I will carry my views as being part of an insider into this research.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Daniela Guichardo
    I like that you included the definition of privilege and what can fall under it. It's good that you realized that being a fan of Cardi B yourself will carry into your research.