Discussion Post #4

I usually don’t think about the privileges I have but there are some things in my life that I suppose give me privilege. One of these things is my family. There are many people out there who don’t have parents or have to live on their own for various circumstances. My family provides me with financial and emotional support and gives me a safe environment to live in. Although my family is not the wealthiest, this is still a big privilege and I think it has made a huge difference in my life.

Another privilege I think I have is the country I grew up in. The United States is a first world country with access to a lot of things that I think many of us take for granted or don’t really think about the privileges we have here. Like for example, all the technology many of us have access to. In this Coronavirus situation we are going through, internet access is absolutely vital to have, but there are many people in the world who don’t have access to either the computers or laptops to use the internet or the electrical power, or the internet service itself and whatnot. All this technology I have access to has made a huge difference in my life. From letting me have access to vasts amounts of knowledge at the push of my fingertips to simply having a means of “escape” whenever I may be feeling down (This “escape” could be anything – like having the technology to play a video game or watch a movie or something). Something like that seems so simple to us, and yet its something many people in the world may not have access to.

This ties into the online community that I chose to observe – which is the online Fighting Game Community. I use technology a lot in my life and of course I grew up exposed to video games a lot and played a lot of fighting games as a kid. So naturally, why not observe a community that ties into something I enjoy ?

Comment ( 1 )

1. David Ayala
    writing about a community you are already closely connected to I believe will give you a insider perspective, and therefore reinforce your observations about this community