Reading Response #1

In Wu’s essay “Out Patients”, it portrays and describes the Factitious disorder community and their beliefs. Being a member of this culture/community Wu describes it as, people who fake their illnesses to simply act out the role of a patient. Speaking from Wu’s personal experience she said, “I close my eyes again and let his gentle words wash over my body…  I’m tingling everywhere… when the moment is over, i’m left aching for more at the same time I’m flooded with shame and fear.” as a FD member she felt terrible faking her illnesses but the hunger for attention overcame her but, because of this playing the role of a patient was enjoyable for her. 

In describing her disorder and desires she creates of verbal portrait of FDers levels. In researching the disorder she finds an online community that describes their fears and passions.  Some speak of the fear of being caught while others fear being manipulated but, they continue to play the role of the patient to satisfy their pleasures. The most noticeable things in the blog and online communities are their inside language. Some using the term “coming out” to signify that they fake illnesses and to address a form of trust with other FDers. To triangulate these beliefs and inside information she finds multiple communities online that express the same fears on their message boards. 

Wu’s footnotes in her text brought credibility but also privacy to her community. By including information about dates, sensations, and fears it brought each individual’s mindset to life. By speaking about her own feelings and her guilt she made her text more powerful and relatable especially to those in the Factitious Disorder community.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Sara Sanchez
    Your response is neatly organized & I like that you went in depth with describing the disorder as well as providing an example not only from the text, but also from the author's perspective. I think the only thing you forgot to respond to is the footnotes