Reflection of Privileges – Discussion Board Post #4 [Daniela Guichardo]

I choose this particular online community because I am a part of it. I have on occasion thought that certain behaviors could be considered weird to outsiders, so I thought becoming an outsider for a moment would be interesting. I have also criticized aspects of the community so to be able to formally analyze it will be fun, I think. My gender would make me notice any misogyny that those in the community may display. I would also not be able to relate or understand what the other genders may be experiencing. I believe my age will allow me to see how other ages are treated versus those around my age. Although people don’t often discuss class outright, my class would make me empathize with those at or below my level and not with those above me. My educational level will affect how I interpret information that is spread in the community. I don’t believe my nationality would have any effect on my field research because it is never really touched upon by the community. My race would not allow me to know what other races in the community may be facing. The fact that I have been a part of the community for a few years will be carried into my research. I will have personal biases on certain topics because I have been in the community. However, I don’t see my life experience having such a large affect. Other than shaping me into the person I am today, I don’t believe my life history being very present in my observations.

Comments ( 4 )

1. Syed Shataj Hosain
    I really liked how you talked about age and race as an insider.
  2. Yaya Camara
    You did a good job listing all of your privileges and how that may affect and support your research. I also find it interesting that you are taking an outsiders glance to a community that you are apart of.
  3. Asadullah Bin Amir
    I think you did an amazing listing all privileges, its admirable to see you take an outsiders glance
  4. Ashley Borja
    Great job on listing all of your privileges and explaining why it will help you gain perspective. It might be challenging as an insider to the community to step out but I liked how you thought it would be interesting to do!