Discussion Post #3

On Sunday afternoon, I came to a small Korean restaurant in Queens. Compared with the Korean restaurant next door, the space I went to was only one-third of the space next door. This restaurant is a bit old-fashioned. The environment in the shop is not that well, and the walls near the kitchen area are covered with soot. The tables and stools in the shop are old, and the menus on the glass are worn out. Compared to the good restaurants in the city, this place is more like a small restaurant deep in the street. The ordering boss is a middle-aged uncle. When I went in with friends, he greeted us warmly. He put the two tables in the corner together because we have three people. All the tables in the store are the same size and only two people can use it. When he finished ordering, I watched its kitchen, which is open and visible to all guests. There are only two cooktops, a younger chef and an old lady wearing an apron are employees. When he finished ordering, I watched its kitchen, which is open and visible to all guests. There are only two cooktops, a younger chef and an old lady wearing an apron are employees. The chef is in charge of cooking, and the other grandmother is in charge of making some sushi. This grandma brought kimchi and miso soup when she brought the meal. I learned that this is a Korean culture because Korean food is served with kimchi. I observed that the guests in the shop were only one at the table. They were two Spanish girls who were chatting happily. Occasionally, guests come in to see the menu and then take it away. Because of the congestion here, I see that most customers prefer the option to take away the food. Then I noticed that there were two Korean men who were older and looked like regulars in this shop. They are very good at greeting the staff in the store. I watched them sit up and watched the TV overhead. This restaurant has a TV set hanging on a very high wall. The TV broadcasts Korean news. The atmosphere in the shop is very warm, this shop is not like a professional commercial restaurant, and the staffs are very kind.  I think this is the unique charm of this small restaurant.

Comment ( 1 )

1. bethanie corona
    I liked your descriptions of the restaurant environment and how you analyzed the customers. Comparing the small Korean spot which was most likely a family own business I am assuming to the fancier ones in the city helped make me visualize the place even more.